Although a support team/individual is not strictly necessary, it is extremely helpful.
You will need:
- To get to the start point at Pen y Pass (SH 647 556).
There are several options, including:
- Your support team can drop you off.
- You can leave a car here and pick it up later. (If you wish to park here for two days you can do so, but must buy two parking tickets. Alternatively, there's always plenty of space by the side of the A498 road down the hill.)
- You can park in Nant Peris (or preferably the lay-by below Blaen-y-nant for the traditional route), and get a
up from Nant Peris. This is a useful place to leave a car (see below).
- You can park at the Abergwyngregyn end-point and get a taxi here (at least £40).
- A car parked, hidden food or your support team waiting, in Nant Peris (or preferably the lay-by below Blaen-y-nant, SH 623 570, for the traditional route). You can drop off your tent/ bivvy bag here, and take on a smaller rucksack and some food/drink.
- Your support team or some food hidden in rocks somewhere around the Glan Dena area near
Llyn Ogwen (SH 668 606).
- A car parked at the finish point, or your support team waiting for you (Bwlch y Ddeufaen SH 721 715 or above Abergwyngregyn SH 676 716).
In the ideal world a support team would drop you off at the start point; arrive at Nant Peris for about six o’ clock in the morning to cook some bacon barms over a portable grill; drive to Ogwen a few hours later with some hot soup; and be
standing applauding at the end-point when you finish in the evening. It’s a lot to ask, so you may have to compromise on some of these points!